Agricultural Growth and Food Security
USAID will take a leading role in supporting Ethiopian efforts to promote agricultural-led economic growth by encouraging the coordination and collaboration necessary to produce strategically selected commodities. USAID will demonstrate the role the private sector can have in reducing poverty and food insecurity by increasing demand for smallholder production, creating jobs, and presenting greater opportunities for developing sustainable livelihoods. The promotion of agriculture-led growth in productive sectors will be a powerful potential driver of poverty reduction and systemic change across Ethiopia.
- Agricultural Growth Program – Agribusiness and Market Development: Improve the competitiveness of value chains that offer job and income opportunities for rural households.
- Agricultural Growth Program- Livestock Market Development:Support the Government of Ethiopia’s Agricultural Growth Plan (AGP) by improving smallholder incomes and nutritional status through investments in selected livestock value chains.
- EthioPEA Alliance: Partnership between PepsiCo, USAID and Government of Ethiopia to support local business development by focusing on optimizing chickpea production through technology and quality control.
- Nutrition: ENGINE: Use sustainable, comprehensive, and coordinated interventions to improve the nutritional status of women and young children. Focus on strengthening nutrition programs and policy, health care services, community-oriented care and practices, and a rigorous learning agenda.
See also: Health
- Rapid Deployment of High-Yielding and Rust-Resistant Wheat Varieties: Utilize demand-driven approaches to expand distribution and promote adoption of new rust-resistant wheat varieties.
- Smallholder Horticulture Project (SHH): Partnership between USAID and MASHAV, Israel’s Agency for International Development Cooperation, to promote economic growth of small-scale horticulture holders by strengthening the commercial viability of fruit and vegetable production.
- Strengthening Land Administration: Assist the Government of Ethiopia in strengthening and enhancing land tenure security and administration by conducting surveys to provide information for policy drafting and submission.