Teacher Development in Primary Education Strengthened
See also: Crosscutting Issues
Date of Operation: 2002 – 2014
Primary Implementing Partner: International Foundation for Education and Self Help (IFESH)
Regions of Operation: Addis Ababa, Amhara, Oromia, SNNP and Tigray
Help improve the quality of primary education through capacity building of teacher education institutions in the training of primary school teachers and teaching of English.
- Bring American volunteers to Ethiopia who will support Peace Corps volunteers in the Improving the Teaching of English Language in Ethiopia Program
- Address gender equity issues through supporting female students, coordinate the Higher Diploma Program (Ministry of Education program to enhance the professional capacity of teachers in colleges and universities)
- Build the professional development of teacher educators at teacher training colleges, and organize and promote educational resource centers
The poor quality of education as a consequence of inadequate teacher training has contributed to an 18 percent dropout rate in 2009. The Teacher Development in Primary Education Strengthened project aims to improve the quality of primary school teacher training and English language instruction in teacher education institutions as English is the language of instruction in Ethiopia after grade five. Even though English is taught as a subject from grade one in order to prepare students for the switch in language, the quality of the instruction is poor and not adequately preparing students for the transition.
- Assign 68 American volunteers to work in teacher education institutions and the Ministry of Education
- Implement the Government’s Teacher Education System Overhaul program which is Ethiopia’s teacher development strategy