CORE Group Partners Project
Date of Operation: 2007 – 2017
Primary Implementing Partner: CORE Group
Other Implementing Partners: Care, ChildFund International (CFI), World Vision, Plan, African Medical and Research Foundation (AMREF), Save the Children, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), International Rescue Committee (IRC), Mekane Yesus Church, Hararghe Catholic Secretariat, Pastoralist Concern, Alem Tena Catholic Church
Regions of Operation: Nationwide, with a focus on pastoralist and hard-to-reach areas
To support the eradication of polio from Ethiopia.
- Narrow the challenging gaps of Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) surveillance and immunization in emerging regions and hard-to-reach areas
- Conduct active surveillance, immunization campaigns and advocacy and awareness creation events
USAID supports the Government of Ethiopia in its efforts to eradicate polio through the CORE Group, a consortium of non-governmental organizations. The CORE Group’s activities complement the World Health Organization (WHO) grant for polio eradication by focusing on the strengthening of AFP surveillance and immunization in pastoralist areas and along borders.
- Train community volunteer surveillance focal persons on Acute Flaccid Paralysis detection and reporting
- Distribute materials such as fuel, motorbikes and refrigerators to health facilities to support routine immunization and supplemental immunization activities (SIAs)
- Persistent and good case detection rate
- Increase community involvement, ensuring ownership of the immunization and surveillance activities