Systems for Improved Access to Pharmaceuticals and Services
Date of Operation: 2008 – 2016
Primary Implementing Partner: Management Sciences for Health
Regions of Operation: Oromia
Provide pharmaceutical management system strengthening support to implement malaria treatment programs at national and regional health facility levels.
- Provide technical, strategic, managerial and operational support to implement and strengthen anti-malaria drug management activities in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia, thereby contributing to the President's Malaria Inititive (PMI) goal of a achieving a 70 percent reduction in malaria-associated mortality by 2013.
The project provides technical assistance to all the aspects of the pharmaceutical supply management system as well as facility level intervention including selection, procurement, distribution, inventory control, training and infrastructure improvement for the safety and security of products. The project focuses on improving good governance, reforming pharmaceutical policy and practice, promoting and implementing rational medicine use, as well as advancing aspects of the service that were lagging behind and negatively affecting the availability of products.
To ensure sustainability of health interventions and systems, the project supports institutional capacity building in all aspects of pharmaceutical management systems through training, mentoring, and embedding technical staff to mentor counterparts for organizations such as the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) Drug Administration and Control Authority, the GoE Pharmaceutical Fund and Supply Agency, schools of pharmacy, the Ethiopian Pharmaceutical Association, regional health bureaus, and health facilities.
- Review and update Federal Ministry of Health Anti-Malaria Drug Management (AMDM) policy
- Develop and/or modify training materials for AMDM
- Conduct trainings in AMDM for central, regional and zonal level staff
- Establish and operationalize a framework for an AMDM system at the hospital, health center and health post level
- Second pharmaceutical staff to Oromia Regional Health Bureau and four zonal health offices